Tax extension form | Find the IRS Extension form you need

U.S. Tax form 1040 with a calculator spelling out "HELP"

If you can't complete your tax return, or pay your taxes, by April 15, you will need to file a tax extension form. Image from Picasa.

Tax day is quickly approaching, and if you need extra time to complete your 2009 federal taxes, you will need to submit a tax extension form 2010 to the IRS. There are two types of an IRS extension form – one that extends your filing deadline, and one that extends your tax resolution deadline. Make sure you file the right tax extension form with the IRS by Midnight on Thursday, April 15.

IRS extension form 4868 – extend your tax deadline

If you, for almost any reason, need extra time to complete your taxes, then you will need IRS extension form 4868. The IRS extension form generally gives you an additional six months to file your taxes. However, IRS extension form 4868 still requires taxpayers to pay their estimated tax debt. If you file IRS extension form 4868 without paying what you estimate you will owe in taxes, you can still be charged interest and penalties on the amount. If you file tax extension form by April 15, you will automatically have until Oct. 15 to file a completed tax return.

Special rules for tax extension form 4868

If you are living outside the U.S., are filing a married-filing-jointly return, or are serving in a combat zone, tax extension form 4868 has special rules. Specifically, an automatic two-month tax extension is allowed for U.S. citizens or residents who are living outside of the U.S. or Puerto Rico. Married couples who are filing a joint return only need to file one tax extension form 4868. Members of the military have up to 180 days after they leave a combat zone to file their taxes.

Filing a tax extension form to extend payment time

IRS Extension form 4868 can be used only if you will be paying what you estimate in taxes by April 15. If you are not able to pay all of your taxes at the time you file your return, you need to file a very different type of tax extension form. One of the four tax extension form types might be used. Unlike tax extension form 4868, the IRS tax extension forms that extend your time to pay are very closely scrutinized and not automatically granted.

Tax extension forms to extend payments

There are four types of IRS tax extension forms that will help you extend the time you have to pay the IRS before they charge you penalties that may require you to get a personal loan.

  • Use IRS tax extension form 1127 if you are asking the IRS to postpone payment of the full amount of your tax debt. If you can pay the full amount in one chunk, just not by April 15, file this tax extension form.
  • Use IRS tax extension form 4768 to request a tax extension on filing or paying estate taxes
  • IRS tax extension form 9465 is the form to file if you need to request an installment agreement from the IRS. You do not need to file this form if you set up a payment plan through the IRS website. If you can pay your full tax debt in 120 days or less, call 1-800-829-1040 – they may be able to help you avoid the fees of setting up a payment plan.
  • There is no official tax extension form if you do not qualify for a tax installment agreement or tax postponement. However, IRS Publication 594 outlines the IRS collection process and your rights and responsibilities during that process.

Other recent posts by bryanh