Woman bites into razor in Walmart ice cream, but won’t sue

Great Value

Store-branded products, including Walmart's Great Value, are usually manufactured by outside companies. Image: Flickr / acrider / CC-BY

In East Texas, reports indicate that a woman bit into a razor in her Walmart ice cream. Stephanie Granger says that her Peanut Butter Stars cup “tasted funny” when she first started eating it. Rather than suing Walmart, however, Granger says she just hopes the company “reviews safety procedures.”

Woman bites into razor in her Walmart ice cream

Stephanie Granger, who lives in Texas, was sitting down to watch a movie with Great Value brand ice cream. One spoonful of the ice cream, however, cut the inside of her lip. Granger found a broken razor blade in the ice cream. She called Walmart customer service, where she claims she was told “I’m sorry, I hope your day gets better.” Granger contacted the local media outlets, saying that she believes that the razor is “nobody’s fault” and just wants Walmart to review its safety procedures. Granger has indicated that she does not want to sue the company.

How Great Value ice cream is made

Though many of the reports on a woman biting into a razor blade call the product “Walmart ice cream,” that is not entirely accurate. Great Value is the Walmart house brand, but it is not usually directly manufactured by Walmart. Instead, the Walmart corporation contracts out to manufacturers of various products and labels them as Great Value. That means that Walmart will need to contact the company that makes the ice cream and discuss the problem with them. Walmart spokespeople have indicated that they are “opening a full investigation.”

Foreign objects in food

Foreign objects have been showing up in manufactured food for as long as manufactured food has existed. The USDA and FDA both work together to track and address foreign-object-in-food complaints. About one-third of reports of a foreign object in food involve glass or other sharp objects. Anyone who finds items in their food is encouraged to report the finding to their local health department and the food manufacturer.



Other recent posts by bryanh