Top 12 Strange College Scholarships
Finding money for college requires creativity
Are you or someone you know preparing to go to college? Whether you’re a first time college applicant or a returning student, significant preparation is involved, particularly on the financial level. Payday loans won’t finance your journey through the halls of academia, so you’d do yourself good if you researched college scholarships for which you may be eligible. If you look hard enough, you’ll begin to see that being creative can help, because there are some strange college scholarships out there.
Top 12 weird college scholarships
Thanks to some fascinating work by the blog Zen College Life, I’ve picked out my favorite 12 from a larger list. Each of these strange college scholarships could be money in the bank for your college education – if you’ve got the moxie.
- Duck Brand Duct Tape Stuck on Prom Contest – High school students who make the best prom outfits from the handyman’s cure-all are eligible for a $3,000 prize.
- Society of Vacuum Coaters Foundation Scholarship – This has nothing to do with vacuum cleaners. If you are prepared to apply coatings to lengths of material at speeds of up to 500 feet per minute, then you may be eligible for a $2,500 college scholarship.
- Sophie Major Memorial Duck Calling Contest – Think this is something people simply do for fun at the county fair? Well, there could be $2,000 in it for you, so start quacking.
- Excellence in Predicting the Future Award – For a scholarship related to the world of high finance, you think they could shell out more than $400. I suppose some money is better than no money, however. Predict America’s economic future and be rewarded!
- The Billy Barty Foundation – If you’re little (under 4-foot-10) and can provide documented proof of dwarfism, there could be big money in it for you.
- National Marbles Tournament Scholarship – Start the kids while they’re young. Turn off the video games and get them outside so they can play marbles. If they win the related tournament here, they could earn between $1,000 and $2,000 in college scholarship bucks.
- KLI Academic Award: The Kor Memorial Scholarship – The Klingon Language Institute accepts only the best and brightest. Even if you’re just out of Starfleet Academy and know no Klingon, you’re eligible to apply for this $500 college scholarship. If you need payday loans to repair your matter transporter to get to their hyperspace application office, beam on over to the application button for Personal Money Store that you see on the left side of this page.
- American Association of Candy Technologists Scholarship – If you’re a college sophomore, junior or senior who majors in food science or a related are with at least a 3.0 GPA, $5,000 in sweet college money could be waiting for you.
- OP Loftbed Scholarship – Dude, what are you going to Tweet to your BFF next? If you attend an accredited college (for a school other than the one of hard knocks, let’s say), spill the juicy to these guys and there might be $500 in college scholarship money in it for you.
- American Nudist Research Library Scholarship – For many, college is about letting go and living the life you dream. If that dream includes unabashed nudity, apply for this scholarship!
- Michigan Llama Association (MLA) Scholarship – If you’re a nudist, hopefully there are no curious llamas nearby. Because you never know what might happen. Seriously, if you’re a member of this select group (or the child of a member), you can apply for this college scholarship.
- Mycological Society of America Scholarships – Studying mycology can be fun, but it can also be profitable for students, teachers and researchers. If you’re up on your fungi, there could be a $2,000 in it for you. Tell them Egon Spengler sent you.