Green Bean Casserole recipe | Updated and improved
Green bean casserole has been a standard on the Thanksgiving table for about 50 years. Since first introduced by Campbell’s Soup company, the green bean casserole recipe hasn’t changed much. If you want a green bean casserole recipe with more flavor this year, it can be done easily.
The basics of a green bean casserole recipe
From the start, the green bean casserole recipe was an attempt to introduce richness. Traditional cooking methods for green beans can leave them flaccid and flavorless. Green bean casserole recipes add cream of mushroom soup for creaminess and french fried onions for crunch. This classic recipe, however, has loss luster. So how to improve the green bean casserole recipe? Easy — go back to the basics.
A modern green bean casserole recipe
Instead of using the canned soup, make the dish from scratch. This can be made a day ahead of time, with minimal assembly; just re-heat it the next day. It’s the perfect match for a savory meal.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large yellow onion, half diced and half sliced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 – 1 1/2 lb French-cut green beans
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup canola, corn or vegetable oil
- Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed skillet or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Saute diced onions, bell peppers and garlic until fragrant and soft.
- Add mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat until liquid is evaporated.
- Sprinkle three Tablespoons flour over vegetables, stirring to coat.
- Add milk slowly, stirring constantly. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until thickened.
- Remove mixture from heat and stir in sour cream. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. While water is heating, fill a large bowl with ice water.
- Cook green beans in boiling water for three or four minutes or until bright green. Plunge beans immediately into cold water.
- Mix green beans with Parmesan cheese and sauce.
- Toss remaining tablespoon flour with sliced onion. Heat oil in a heavy skillet until very hot.
- Fry floured onions in oil. Top green beans with fried onions.
- Heat entire green bean casserole in a 350 degree oven for about 30 to 45 minutes. If your oven is full, the mixture can be microwaved on medium-high.