Google seeks to overpower Groupon with Google Offers

Wednesday, May 8th, 2013 By

Animated GIF of the Google logo that includes a cat chasing a mouse.

Google Offers means Google will no longer be chasing after companies like Groupon. (Photo Credit: CC BY-ND/Mediaspin)

Google tried to convince Groupon to accept a $6 billion buyout in December, but Groupon chose not to bite. Now Google is taking the booming online coupon business into its own hands, reports Mashable. Google Offers, a Groupon-like product that offers online discounts at local businesses for consumers, will soon enter the fray.

Google Offers a consumer win

Bargain shopping is the name of the game with Google Offers, and consumers who have shown that they will eat up 50 percent off discounts at online coupon companies like Groupon and LivingSocial are sure to find more of what they love with Google. Considering the search giant’s tremendous reach, local business promotion shouldn’t be a problem, nationwide or even worldwide. LivingSocial claims to make more than $1 million per day on average, while Groupon is on its way to the largest IPO valuation in history at possibly $15 billion. An online coupon company with the power of Google will be a cash monster.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Mashable reports that Google Offers will resemble the Groupon model at launch, and there’s nothing wrong with that, as the Groupon layout and interface has proven to be successful with consumers. However, powerful Google tools like Checkout, Analytics, ad networks and more should be more than enough to help Google Offers stand on its own. Then there’s that ubiquitous brand name. The name “Google” alone translates to power.

Google Offers on a pre-paid system

According to MSNBC, Google Offers will operate on a pre-paid system that will require no additional out-of-pocket expense for a small business to enjoy local promotion. After that, businesses only have to pay if a customer buys the online coupon offer, which is a handy tool for local business promotion. Mashable’s Ben Parr explains the Google Offers system this way:

“Google will pay out 80 percent of a business’ revenue share three days after its deal runs. Google will hold the remaining 20 percent for 60 days to cover refunds before sending the rest.”

Sources

Mashable

MSNBC

Financial News Network coverage of Google Offers

Previous Article

« Starbucks rolls out beer and wine sales in Seattle store

One Starbucks in Seattle has started selling Northwest-made beer and wine. The business move is meant to increase afternoon and evening sales. Wine
Next Article

Strep throat may be linked to OCD, autism-spectrum disorders »

New research has confirmed that strep throat infections may be linked to OCD, tic disorders and autism, opening up new avenues of treatment. Antibiotics

This post has one comment

  1. mp agora1 says:

    we have a same local site
    now we finish to build it
    info@agora1.co.il

Trackbacks / Pingbacks

Leave a Reply

Other recent posts by Steve Tarlow

Payomatic: New York community financial services company

New York's largest check cashing chain, Payomatic strives to connect consumers with the financial services they need in their communities...
The home page of Payomatic.com, where clean design makes it easy to find what you're looking for. A smiling woman holding a prepaid VISA card invites New York customers to try out the financial services Payomatic has to offer.

Want easy loans, Austin? Try EZ Money Loan!

At EZ Money Loan, cash-strapped consumers can find the "ez money" payday loans they need to make it until their next payday.
Austin Skyline

Quik Cash payday loans: Know before you go

Quik Cash has grown from its rent-to-own roots into a payday loans multi-service business that has over 550 locations nationwide.